What Personal Information do we collect?
Canadian privacy legislation defines “Personal Information” broadly as information about an identifiable individual or as information that allows an individual to be identified. Generally speaking, Personal Information does not include what is considered business contact information such as an employee's name, title or position, business address, business telephone number, facsimile number, or e-mail address. The types of Personal Information that McLean & Kerr LLP may collect about you includes your name, home address, home telephone number, personal e-mail address, billing and account information, information about the particular legal issue and other information incidental to providing legal advice and services (including Personal Information about witnesses, family members, beneficiaries, directors, officers, employees, adverse parties, parties-in-interest, investigators, decision makers, experts, other professional advisors, and our clients' business partners, investors, shareholders, competitors and customers who are individuals).
Why do we collect your Personal Information?
In general, McLean & Kerr LLP collects, uses and discloses Personal Information about our clients in order to provide our clients with professional legal services. More specifically, we collect, use and disclose Personal Information for the following purposes:
- to establish and manage client relationships, provide legal advice, perform legal services, fulfil legal duties and avoid conflicts of interest. This may include the sharing of Personal Information by and between McLean & Kerr LLP personnel;
- to share Personal Information to and from third parties for the purpose of providing legal services. Such third parties may include opposing parties, parties in interest, opposing, foreign and other counsel and advisors, witnesses, decision-makers and experts;
- to consider whether McLean & Kerr LLP should establish a commercial relationship with clients, suppliers and other third parties, including to evaluate credit standing and to match credit bureau or credit reporting agency information;
- to establish and maintain commercial relationships with clients, suppliers and other third parties, including to issue invoices, administer accounts, collect and process payment and to fulfil contractual obligations;
- to develop, enhance, market, sell or otherwise provide McLean & Kerr LLP's products and services;
- to distribute our newsletters, conference information and other material to individuals on our mail and e-mail lists;
- to develop and manage McLean & Kerr LLP's business and operations;
- to detect and protect McLean & Kerr LLP and other third parties against error, negligence, breach of contract, fraud, theft and other illegal activity and to audit compliance with McLean & Kerr LLP's policies and contractual obligations;
- to engage in business transactions, including the purchase, sale, lease, merger, amalgamation or any other type of acquisition, disposal, securitization or financing involving McLean & Kerr LLP;
- as permitted by, and to comply with, any legal or regulatory requirements or provisions; and
- for any other purpose to which you consent.
To whom do we disclose your Personal Information?
From time to time, McLean & Kerr LLP may disclose your Personal Information to:
service providers, including an organization or individual retained by McLean & Kerr LLP to perform functions on its behalf, such as marketing, data processing, document management and office services;
- an organization or individual retained by McLean & Kerr LLP to evaluate your creditworthiness or to collect debts outstanding on an account;
- a financial institution, on a confidential basis and solely in connection with the assignment of a right to receive payment, the provision of security or other financing arrangements;
- a person who, in the reasonable judgment of McLean & Kerr LLP, is providing or seeking the information as your agent; or
- any third party or parties, where you consent to such disclosure or where disclosure is required or permitted by law.
Where do we store your Personal Information?
Your Personal Information is stored in secured locations and on servers controlled by McLean & Kerr LLP, located either at our offices or at the offices of our service providers.
How may you obtain access to your Personal Information?
Upon your written request, subject to certain exceptions, McLean & Kerr LLP will inform you of the existence, use and disclosure of your Personal Information and will give you access to that information. Access requests should be sent to our Chief Privacy Officer, using the contact information below.
How do we protect your Personal Information?
To help protect the confidentiality of your Personal Information, McLean & Kerr LLP employs administrative and technological safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of your Personal Information. For instance, we operate secure data networks protected by industry standard firewall and password protection systems. In addition, where Personal Information is sent to a third party for processing, we take reasonable steps, through our contracts with them, that all Personal Information is kept secure.
Privacy and our Website
In order to provide our website visitors with a service or information, visitors may voluntarily submit Personal Information to us for purposes such as asking a question, obtaining information, or reviewing or downloading a publication. You should be aware that e-mail is not a 100% secure medium, and you should be aware of this when contacting us to send personal or confidential information.
McLean & Kerr LLP
Chief Privacy Officer
130 Adelaide Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5H 3P5